Monday, June 16, 2008

Visiting The Site

Over the weekend I went to visit my grandparents. Our wedding ceremony and reception is going to be held on their property. The day of my grandmother's eightieth surprise birthday party, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, and the property looked fabulous. I was thinking that if Alex could hurry up and get to Albany we'd just get married right then and there.

It's amazing how soem things just come together. I have seen and heard of brides finding that "perfect" dress or "perfect" song and having a moment. While I am a sucker for sappy romantic movies, I never considered myself to be one of the 'moment' people.... I had a moment. It was rather awestriking (if that's a word).

The grass was a pristeen Florida golf course green; the baby blue sky held carefree wispy clouds, and the sun was out. There was a field of daisy's in bloom just waiting to be plucked for centerpieces. The serene simplicity of it all was breathtaking and caused little excitementflies to flutter around in my chest.

I began to think of why I have wanted to be married on the farm. This was the place I spent a week with just my grandparents every summer. PopPop would work on the farm incessantly planting, mowing, or taking care of something that had been planted. Gram and I would spend the week at the pool, laying out on the grass, or going to the movies when it was poor weather. Even when we moved from house to house the farm was always the same. The blue room always waiting with it's Winnie-the-Pooh sheets for me to sleep in it. The first road trip I made with my license was to the farm. It was great freedom to know I could go whenever I wanted and didn't need a ride for the three hours it took to get there. The farm was an escape from college the week before finals or a place to stay during student teaching.

What better place to make a commitment for the rest of my life than the most stable in my life so far?

No comments: